Tuesday, March 13, 2012

First stop Apache Palms in Tempe

One of 3 news helicopters...look Ma I'm on tv!
My happy little spot at Apache Palms RV Park in Tempe, AZ

On my birthday January 15 I started my new adventure of living on the road for 3 months. First stop Tempe. I've lived in Surprise for 5 years this March but haven't spent much time in the city so this was a great opportunity to do just that. On a recommendation from my dear friends Mike & Betty Gardiner I booked 11 nights at an rv park in the heart of Tempe, thanks M & B!
As I was checking in I mentioned to Angie the manager of the park it was my 44th birthday, her response was "You're 44 and live in Surprise. What's wrong with you?" If I needed validation for leaving Surprise and spending 3 months on the road I got it from that single comment.
It was not only my birthday on the 15th but my friend Ernie's 40th birthday as well so we hit the town having cocktails and appies at Cantina on Mill Ave. Got a bit of buzz on there we decided to keep it going and hit another place on Mill buzz was working because I can't remember the name now but I remember the bartender all to well because he bought us shots of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey. I'm not a fan of Jack Daniels but this stuff is GOOD. Couple more shots of that and I was even more grateful that the Metro Light Rail was my ticket home. I forgot to mention the major benefit of staying at Apache Palms was that the light rail stopped right in front of it. I've always been a huge fan of public transportation. That tidbit of info was a great way to get off topic of where the rest of the evening lead me :)
My stay in Tempe went by so fast, there was never a lack of things to do and people to see. I had lunch with Louis & Sergio at Pita Jungle since Sergio works at ASU this worked out perfectly, we were both in the hood. Mike & Sheri Dean stopped by one day to hang out, they were camped in Apache Junction so it was a hop skip and a jump for them, that's when Sheri & I decided we would go to the Phoenix farmer's market that Saturday. I love farmer's markets and had always wanted to go to this one but hell its a schlep from Surprise, so once again hop on the light rail and boom I am there. Loved it and will make it a regular event once I am home again, its worth the drive. Then I get an invite from dear friends Ray & Rosemary Mazza to come to their house in (shit forgot the name of the town for now but its East Valley Phoenix) for a visit and lunch. I adore Ray & Rosemary and have enjoyed their company at many an Airstream Rally but to get the chance to sit and get to know them better in their home was a real treat.
Can't forget the rv park excitement! One day I was returning back from errands when as I pulled into the park I noticed a cop car hot on my tail, shortly after that as I was relaxing and starting afternoon happy hour I hear helicopters over head, 3 in all. Oh yeah there was something going on in the hood. They hovered for a hours! All I knew was it wasn't me! Turns out the lovely apartment complex behind the park not so lovely. A couple bad guys shot a couple other bad guys over drugs. I didn't loose any sleep over this, I've lived in some pretty interesting neighborhoods in my day, it was kinda like being in my 20's again.

So big cheers to everyone who made my time in the city absolutely fabulous!

No comments: